BASIC RECIPE: Cream Cheese Pie & Cobbler Crust
This is one of the best tasting crusts you will find. It is also an easy dough to work with, not finicky at all, because I know how we all hate temperamental pie dough. I developed this recipe to go with my Blackberry Cobbler, but it is great with any fruit or berry pie or cobbler.
Mixing Steps – Food Processor & Mixer:
Mix half the recipe at a time in the Food Processor, until you have pea-size pieces of cold butter in the flour mixture. Put both batches in the Kitchen Aid (or other) mixer, add the heavy cream and lemon juice. Mix on low speed just until the dough comes together. Transfer to counter to finish dough.
Egg Washing a Cobbler Before Baking:
|Cream Cheese Pie & Cobbler Crust|| || |
YELD: NET WEIGHT OF DOUGH = 1290 grams 45 oz (2# 13 oz)
MAKES EOUGH FOR TWO 9" x 13" (23cm x 33 cm) COBBLERS SCALED @ 645g (1lb 6 oz) EACH
OR: THREE 9" (23cm) PIE SHELLS SCALED @ 400g (14 oz) EACH
- 370 grams cold unsalted butter (3¼ sticks)
- 225 grams Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cold (one - 8 oz package)
- 370 grams bleached all-purpose flour (Gold Medal) (2½ cups + 2 Tablespoons)
- 200 grams bleached cake flour (1½ cups)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 120 grams heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- 15 grams lemon juice (1 Tablespoon)
- 1300 grams = Total 45 oz (2# 13 oz)
- FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD: CUT the butter in ½" (12 mm) cubes. Freeze.
- CUT the cream cheese in ½" (12 mm) cubes also. Chill. Do not freeze cream cheese because it ruins the texture.
- COMBINE flour, salt, and baking powder; whisk to blend.
- DIVIDE the butter, cream cheese, and flour mixture roughly into 2 portions.
- PROCESS in food processor in 2 batches: For each batch, place the flour mixture in bowl of processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and cream cheese and process by pulsing, until the mixture resembles coarse meal and some of the butter pieces are the size of small peas.
- TRANSFER each batch to a mixer bowl, such as Kitchen Aid, fitted with a paddle. When both batches have been processed, add the heavy cream and lemon juice. Mix on low speed just until dough comes together. Turn out onto counter and press dough together.
- DiIVIDE dough into two portions: 645g 22 oz (1# 6 oz) each. Form into a compact disk about 6" (15 cm) in diameter x 1" (2.5 cm) thick. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill until firm before using.
- FREEZE, for up to 2 months, until needed.
- ROLL & BAKE according to your pie or cobbler recipe.
Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy!