|Carrot Blueberry Orange Muffins|| |
AUTHOR: Shirl Gard
YIELD: 12 LARGE MUFFINS - 140g (5oz) EACH, INCLUDING TOPPING[/b]
- DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 350 grams unbleached all purpose flour (2½ cups)
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 100 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
- 15 grams baking powder (1 T)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (Korintje)
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- LIQUID INGREDIENTS:
- 100 grams whole eggs, lightly beaten with the yolks (2 large)
- 20 grams egg yolks (1 large)
- 120 grams canola oil (1/2 cup + 1 T)
- 60 grams orange marmalade (3 T)
- 30 grams Orange Zest Purée (2 T) (or: 1 T freshly grated orange zest)
- 30 grams lemon juice (2 T)
- 10 grams vanilla extract (2 tsp)
- 350 grams grated carrots, blotted dry before weighing (3½ cups)
- 150 grams blueberries, fresh or frozen (1 heaping cup)
- 1435 grams = Total 50 oz (2# 2 oz)
- Turbinado Crumb Topping
- Extra Fresh blueberries
- - About 70g (1/2 cup) to "stud" the tops of the muffins after the Crumb Topping is added. Fresh only: frozen bleeds too much.
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Line muffin cups with 6" paper liners and spray with non-stick spray with flour just before filling cups. Set muffin pan on half sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, oil, orange marmalade, orange zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Fold the liquids into dry ingredients until the flour is half absorbed.
- Toss the "Add-ins" together in a bowl until evenly mixed. Scatter them over the muffin batter and continue folding until just barely mixed and all of the flour is absorbed.
- Scoop into the prepared muffin cups, using a #10 ivory scoop (1/3 cup capacity).
- Sprinkle the tops generously with the Turbinado Crumb Topping. Push the extra fresh blueberries randomly into the topping.
- TO BAKE: Turn oven down to 425° F when the muffins go in and bake for 10 minutes. Then turn oven down to 400° F to finish baking: another 20-22 minutes. Rotate pan half way through baking. Total baking time 30-32 minutes, until golden brown and a wooden skewer tests clean.
- Internal Temperature = 210°F - 212°F, if using a thermometer.
- Cool in pans 5-10 minutes, then remove muffins to wire rack to continue cooking.